Not sure what to wear to your engagement session? I’m here to help! You should bring two to three outfits to your session so I can get a variety of different looks for you. I suggest the following:
- Bring a ‘Dressy’ Outfit – It’s not every day you get to get all dressed up with your sweetheart and take photos together. Use this session as an excuse to really go all out and get fancied up! I’m not saying you have to wear a gown and tux (unless you want to), but maybe a dress or skirt for you, and a suit or nice slacks and a button up shirt for your fiancé. This outfit will be great for save the date cards, or the announcement in your local newspaper.
- Go Casual – We also suggest you bring a more casual outfit. This outfit is ideal for your more fun, relaxed photos. Tailored jeans and a nice shirt are always a great choice, especially if we are going to be walking around in nature a lot. Make sure to bring shoes specifically for this outfit, too.
- Coordination is Key – The most important thing to remember is to coordinate. You don’t want to be matchy-matchy, but you want to coordinate. Choose similar colors and styles that photograph well together. For example, you don’t want to wear jeans if your fiancé is wearing a suit and tie in the same photo. Also remember to dress for the location. For example, if you are doing a natural, rustic or vintage session, you’ll want to stay away from bright colors and opt for neutrals instead.
- Things to Avoid
– Logos, unless we’re doing a sports session and you’re wearing jerseys, etc.
– Patterns – Try to stick with solid colors or minimal patterns. Plaid shirts are fine as long as your fiancé isn’t wearing stripes or polka dots. It’s a good rule of thumb to only have one partner wearing a pattern at a time.
– Fluorescent colors – These don’t photograph well and also can cast bright color tones on your skin.